Monday 12 February 2018

Between Me and I

I feel like most people at some point in their lives have used the phrase “I wish I had known that back when I was younger”; I am guilty of that as well, so I thought I’d write a letter to my younger self just in case timetravel ever becomes a thing. And if not, people can read it and have a taste of my weirdness.

Dear sixteen-year-old me,

I really hope you’re in one of our moody phases when you’re reading this, so I can cheer you up!☺

Oh, who am I? Just you, from almost twenty years down the road. The future is looking great! But sadly, there are no flying cars or colonies on Mars yet. ☹

I already know for a fact you’ll love the person you turned out to be, but here are 35 things (one for each of our years on this planet) to always keep in mind:
  1. You’re still weird. Don’t worry, you love it!
  2. People think you’re funny. I feel that’s only partially true though; we are sometimes funny.
  3. Like pretty much all women in your family, you have great skin and you’re ageing gracefully. You should start using moisturizing cream earlier though.
  4. You love wearing glasses. The world would be really blurry without them.
  5. You won’t mind the grey hair on your head at all, but you will be loathing the 3-4 grey hairs on your eyebrows.
  6. At 35, you’re still an idealist. Because of that, you have been disappointed many times already.
  7. You are also very stubborn…
  8. …and have no sense of diplomacy.
  9. On that note, don’t wear your heart on your sleeve too much. Not all people have good intentions.
  10. To this day, you’ve kept all your promises.
  11. You have strong opinions on things, but you are smart enough to know who to share those with.
  12. Humour will be your most valuable piece of armour.
  13. You already know this, but dogs make everything better.
  14. Never feel like you are too old to try new things; trust me, you aren’t.
  15. You are very loyal, sometimes to a fault. There will be people that will read that as an invitation to treat you poorly. Don’t allow it.
  16. If you are at fault, apologise. 
  17. Your thirties are way cooler than your twenties.
  18. You are turning more and more into mum with each passing day.
  19. You hate endings. Sometimes they are unavoidable though, so don’t hold onto unhealthy situations.
  20. Trust your instincts and intuition. So far, they’ve only betrayed you twice.
  21. Right now, you own more than 500 books.
  22. Did I mention you also became a librarian?
  23. Oh, and guess what? You even wrote a book!
  24. You’ll grow to love Shakespeare, especially “Romeo and Juliet”; don't forget that, it's important.
  25. You will love travelling.
  26. You will become much better at photography; like, way better.
  27. As you grow older, you’ll become even more quiet and observant.
  28. Follow your heart, but always take your brain with you; cliché, but true.
  29. Never lose touch with your inner child.
  30. No matter how many times you fall, always get back up.
  31. Let me tell you, you have some great friends!
  32. If you don’t feel respected, leave.
  33. Work hard, play harder.
  34. It’s important to stay healthy; drink enough water.
  35. And, lastly, don’t forget to smile; it brings out your dimples. ☺

Love, you

No comments:

Post a Comment